The Alliance to Save Energy is seeking a Communications Associate to help its Policy & Communications Team promote energy efficiency to the media, public and policymakers. Joining a growing team and reporting to the Communications Manager, the Communications Associate’s primary responsibilities will be to manage the Alliance's social media and website content and to support the overall communications portfolio of the organization. The associate must be able to juggle multiple tasks requiring diverse skills under tight deadlines. We are looking for someone with sharp political instincts and strong writing and technical skills across a variety of digital platforms. Skills test required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage all Alliance social media platforms, including daily content, editorial calendar and advertising.
- Create engaging social media content, including graphic and shareable content.
- Monitor social media platforms for Alliance mentions and engagement opportunities; strong focus on tracking energy policy news and conversations.
- Answer and respond to questions and engagements from social media audiences.
- Support Alliance initiatives, trips, news and events on social media, including live-tweeting.
- Amplify advocacy alerts through social media platforms.
- Research ongoing updates to social media platforms and emerging trends.
- Prepare monthly metrics reports.
- Write and edit communications such as wEEkly Buzz newsletter, Blog to Save Energy posts and notices to Alliance Associates, with opportunity to grow into writing press releases and other content.
- Track media hits and prepare monthly metrics reports.
- Help maintain updated media contact lists.
- Fact check content to ensure accuracy.
Website & Digital Communications
- Serve as primary point person for maintaining ASE.ORG as a timely, compelling, creative website.
- Work with teams to develop, edit and approve content for ASE.ORG, with specific focus on maintaining the homepage, About Us, Initiatives, Policy, and Events sections.
- Support maintenance of additional Alliance websites.
- Manage editorial calendar for Blog to Save Energy.
- Working with Communications Manager, provide staff training on website platform and ensure established protocols and best practices are being followed.
- Prepare monthly web traffic reports.
- Curate and grow the organization’s photo library, including taking photos at Alliance events as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, public policy or related field.
- 1-2 years of experience in social media, public relations, media relations, communications.
- Strong writing and editing abilities; knowledge of AP writing style.
- Strong knowledge of and skills in social media platforms, including Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter.
- Basic HTML fluency and website management experience (including Drupal).
- Ability to work on many projects simultaneously and meet tight deadlines.
- Being a team player. Excellent interpersonal skills. Sense of humor.
- Enthusiasm for advocacy- and issue-oriented communications work and for promoting the Alliance’s messages to the public and policymakers.
- Some experience with graphic design software (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator), photography and video editing (Adobe Premiere Pro, iMovie, Final Cut, etc.) knowledge is a plus.
Salary range is $40,000-45,000, based on experience. The Alliance offers a generous benefits package and a comfortable work environment in downtown Washington, DC convenient to Metro.
Consideration of candidates will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. The Alliance is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter and resume – in a single file – via the following link to apply for this position: