Events & Executive Affairs Intern
The Alliance to Save Energy is seeking an Events & Executive Affairs Intern to provide support to the Events department in its efforts to promote energy efficiency. We are looking for a self-starter, organized and curious individual with a strong attention to detail who is interested in energy efficiency. This intern will assist the Events & Executive Affairs team in organizing, planning and executing one of the Alliance’s two signature events – the Stars of Energy Efficiency Awards Dinner – as well as assisting with smaller events. This intern will also assist the Alliance’s President with some ad hoc administrative duties. The ideal intern is a highly organized individual with a background in event planning and superb communication and writing skills.
The internship begins June 4, 2018 and extends through August 31, 2018 at Alliance headquarters in Washington, DC. The position is paid ($13.25/hour), and sick leave is offered. This is a full-time position and we are unable to consider applicants who will be enrolled in a full-time course load during the internship term.
- Supporting the Alliance’s events including but not limited to the Awards Dinner, Congressional Field Trips, Briefings, and Board Meetings
- Supporting all pre-event planning activities including but not limited to invite list creation, speaker and sponsor management, event promotion, administrative logistics, attendee materials, and event execution
- Assist with agenda development including issuance of speaker invitations, securing confirmations, and speaker database maintenance
- Help to draft, format, and send mass emails, including newsletters, event invitations, and thank-you letters
- Assist with Board management as needed, including conducting audits of Board contact information and collateral as requested by the Events Associate.
- Execute writing and research assignments, as well as special projects, as directed by the President and COO.
- Assist the President in preparing for meetings.
- Provide general administrative support, including photocopying, word processing, filing (both paper and electronic) and faxing.
- Participate in departmental meetings, as appropriate.
- Perform other related duties, as assigned by the President and COO.
- Assist with shifts at front desk reception (welcome guests, accept packages, answer phone calls).
Required Skills & Qualifications
Strong candidates will have the following characteristics and skills:
- Working toward or completed a BS/BA or higher in marketing, journalism, communications or related field
- Excellent writing skills and ability to craft content on a variety of platforms
- Experience or strong interest in learning how to manage social media platforms
- Self-motivated, dependable and quality-oriented
- Detail-oriented multi-tasker with the ability to think through the tactical and logistical aspects of large-scale events
- Able to work independently and proactively with a tight schedule
- Excellent communication skills
Desired Skill & Qualifications
- Familiarity with design and web editing software, such as Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign
- Desired knowledge of AP style
- Interest in energy policy
- Canva design software, photography or video creation skills strongly preferred
How to Apply
Please include a cover letter and writing sample with your resume, uploaded as one file (PDF or Word). Cover letters can be addressed to "Internship Coordinators." No phone calls, please.