Senior Research Technician
Senior Research Technician - 84979
Organization: EA-Energy Analysis Env Impacts
Berkeley Lab’s Energy Analysis Environmental Impacts Division has an opening for a Senior Research Technician. The Energy Efficiency Standards (EES) group provides technical support to the Department of Energy’s Appliance Standards Program. The work covers a range of topics including energy efficiency standards analysis, test procedure development, and air-conditioning and refrigeration equipment testing.
The primary purpose for the Senior Research Technician position is to perform testing in the EES group’s refrigeration test facility. The position will also assist with testing in the EES group’s air-conditioning test facility, as well as providing technical support for test procedure and standards rulemaking activities.
What You Will Do:
• Read and interpret appliance energy-efficiency test procedures.
• Set up appliances for testing and perform tests.
• Analyze and interpret test data.
• Create test reports.
• Troubleshoot problems during testing.
• Calibrate testing instruments.
• Maintain test facility’s quality management system records.
• Work productively with other employees within the EES group.
• Provide feedback on testing and appliances to support test procedure and standards rulemaking activities.
What is Required:
• Two or more years technical and/or scientific college training or equivalent experience.
• Ability to read and interpret appliance energy-efficiency test procedures.
• Thorough understanding of the mechanical and electrical operation of typical refrigeration and air conditioning appliances.
• Understanding of laboratory instrumentation for temperature, humidity, pressure, and electrical power.
• Ability to fabricate or modify test equipment to meet testing needs.
• Effective problem solving skills with the ability to troubleshoot test facility issues.
• Capability to perform technical data analysis using Python, R, Excel, or similar methods
• Excellent organizational, analytical, and record-keeping skills.
• Ability to learn and use instrumentation and software which is new or with which she/he is nor familiar.
• Proficient with MS Office tools (Excel, Word, Power Point).
• Ability to communicate effectively on technical matters with scientists and engineers.
• Ability to manage time and prioritize tasks with minimal supervision and general guidance while maintaining a high level of productivity.
Additional Desired Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Physics, or other related disciplines.
The posting shall remain open until the position is filled, however for full consideration, please apply by close of business on June 4, 2018.
• This is a full time, 1 year, term appointment with the possibility of extension or conversion to Career appointment based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs.
• Full-time, M-F, non-exempt (hourly paid) from overtime pay.
• Salary will be determined based on range by collective bargaining agreement.
• This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
• Work will primarily be performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://22.214.171.124/counter.php?id=130817 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Berkeley Lab (LBNL, http://www.lbl.gov/) addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4 (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/EO13665_PrescribedNondiscriminationPostingLanguage_JRFQA508c.pdf). Click here (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf) to view the poster: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law".