About the Organization
CLASP’s mission is to improve the energy and environmental performance of the appliances and equipment we use every day, accelerating our transition to a more sustainable world.
We serve as the leading international voice and resource for appliance energy efficiency policies and market acceleration initiatives. In this role, we have worked with over 100 countries. From advancing the off-grid solar technologies, bringing power to energy-impoverished people, to cutting the catastrophic climate impacts of air conditioning, CLASP programs increase uptake of affordable, low-impact, high-quality appliances. Learn more about our programs.
We’re mission-driven, impacts-focused, and committed to a culture of diversity, transparency, and collaboration. We are headquartered in Washington, D.C. and have a strong and growing presence in our Nairobi office. This dynamic team manages and supports our East Africa and Global Programs. See our Team Page to learn more about our organization.
CLASP seeks a Director for its East Africa office in Nairobi, Kenya to lead its growing team and implement a wide range of appliance market development and policy support initiatives currently underway in the region. The Director will work collaboratively with CLASP team members in the United States, India, Europe, and elsewhere, along with our wide network of international partners and program stakeholders. S/he will develop partnerships with stakeholders across East Africa, including funders, program implementers, appliance manufacturers, distributors, and users, and other NGOs.
The Director will be responsible for overseeing, leading, advising, and/or contributing to a range of ongoing CLASP activities that focus on East and Southern Africa. These include CLASP’s Market Development and Innovation programs, which accelerate markets toward best available appliance technologies, mitigate risk, and maximize benefits for manufacturers, consumers, and governments, and CLASP’s Policy and Analysis programs, which support governments to identify and implement ambitious and cost-effective policy solutions, drawing on global best practice and leading technical expertise.
The ideal candidate will have an extraordinary capacity for program development, execution and administration, expertise on African market and policy dynamics, world class collaboration and communication skills, a commitment to impacts and results, and a sense of humor. Creative, open-minded, entrepreneurial self-starters welcome.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Build and manage programs: Facilitate the continued development of CLASP’s programs and institutional presence within and beyond East Africa. Administer the East Africa office, manage project finances, oversee the work of independent contractors.
- Lead and grow a high-performing team: Supervise a dynamic team of professional staff, facilitate ongoing training and professional development, and identify future staffing and recruiting needs.
- Establish productive partnerships: Build support among key stakeholders including energy sector industry leaders, trade associations, government decision makers, and donor organizations.
- Enhance market development programs for off-grid appliances: Working closely with CLASP colleagues around the world, develop and implement strategies to facilitate market development for off-grid appropriate appliance technologies and products.
- Expand advisory services for on-grid appliance policy: Working closely with CLASP colleagues around the world, build a presence for CLASP’s policy technical assistance programs within and beyond East Africa.
- Communicate: Work with CLASP’s communications team to prepare and disseminate compelling stories of program success, research outcomes, lessons learned, etc.
- Guide implementation: Design research specifications, estimates, M&E metrics, terms of reference, and work plans.
- Track progress: Monitor and evaluate the progress of project activities, identify opportunities for improvement, and communicate about progress.
- Keep the big picture in mind: Conduct and roll out programs within the larger context of CLASP, partner, and sector efforts.
- Entrepreneurial approach to design and execution of long-term initiatives, and a proactive, nimble, and strategic approach to problem-solving.
- 7+ years of experience in international program implementation; business- and partnership-development experience preferred.
- Bachelor's degree required. Graduate degree in a relevant field (e.g., engineering, international relations, development, economics, environmental science) preferred.
- Experience in the off-grid clean energy or related energy sectors required; energy or technology policy experience a plus.
- Persuasive communication skills, both verbal and written; exceptional written and spoken English a must.
- Demonstrated experience in growing and developing team members.
- Ability to work from the big picture to the small details.
- Ability to maintain composure, flexibility, and a sense of humor under tight deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal and listening skills.
- Demonstrated legal employment status in Kenya required.
Compensation and Location
Salary is commensurate with experience. This position is full-time and based in Nairobi, Kenya. Candidates must be able to demonstrate legal employment status in Kenya. Working with colleagues across global time zones should be expected. Frequent travel throughout East Africa and occasional travel to the US and other global destinations will be required. We are an equal opportunity employer.
CEA Recruiting is assisting CLASP with this search. To be considered for this position, interested candidates must follow the link below to submit a resume, cover letter and salary requirements through CEA’s job portal. Please direct all applications and inquiries to CEA Recruiting. This position will remain open until filled. Women and East African candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
CLASP is an equal opportunity employer.
CEA Recruiting works with leading environmental nonprofits, foundations, and businesses to recruit top talent and design effective organizational staffing strategies. For more information, visit www.cearecruiting.com.