Director of Government Affairs & Public Policy
The Alliance to Save Energy is seeking a Director of Government Affairs & Public Policy to help lead advocacy efforts to achieve our mission of advancing energy efficiency policy and strengthening energy productivity. Reporting directly to the VP of Public Affairs, this individual will be expected to develop new relationships and strengthen existing relationships with Administration and congressional staff, Alliance Associate members, and external stakeholders, with an emphasis on “broadening the tent” to include conservative policymakers and organizations, business coalitions, religious groups and other potential allies. This individual also will play a critical role in developing the Alliance’s annual policy agenda and identifying legislative opportunities. The Alliance has a 43-year history of bipartisan leadership in Washington D.C. and this position affords the opportunity for an entrepreneurial, mission-driven individual to play a significant role in shaping and advancing energy policy.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Closely monitor legislative and regulatory developments affecting Alliance priorities, identifying potential threats and opportunities and helping to develop strategies to address them. Develop expertise across a broad spectrum of energy efficiency policy issues, including efficiency legislation, appropriations, tax incentives and federal programs such as ENERGY STAR.
- Working with others on the team, develop and implement strategies for increasing Alliance Congressional outreach and engagement. This includes identifying potential allies in Congress or identifying legislative opportunities by, for example, closely following congressional votes, bill introductions, hearings and other activities, and identifying districts with significant energy efficiency job creation and economic activity.
- Schedule, attend and often lead meetings with congressional staff, whether introductory meetings or meetings on specific policy issues. Track engagement in Salesforce.
- Working with others on the team, help ensure that, when appropriate, Alliance Associates are integrated into advocacy efforts on Capitol Hill and with federal agencies. Organize coordinated Hill visits with Alliance Associates and manage at-least one ad-hoc Associate policy committee on a specific issue or priority.
- Assist in building relationships and working more closely with federal agencies, including identifying opportunities for potential collaboration and funding.
- Promote the Alliance and expand our network by attending panel discussions, receptions, stakeholder meetings and other events related to energy efficiency and clean energy policy. Act as an Alliance ambassador by meeting other participants in these events and discussing our work.
- Contribute to or lead the preparation of draft legislation, whitepapers, reports, fact sheets, and similar products in support of Alliance federal policy efforts. Draft audience-specific messaging and frame Alliance positions for presentations, talking points, and speeches on energy efficiency legislation for use by senior leadership.
- Keep abreast of clean energy news and trends, and identify interesting news, reports, etc. to be used in social media, blogs and other content. Write blogs on relevant policy issues. Help find positive local news stories on energy efficiency to be shared with congressional staff.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Six to ten years of experience in government, public affairs, political advocacy or related field. Strong preference for energy-related background, particularly with energy efficiency issues.
- Strong knowledge of and experience with Congress and the federal government.
- Strong written and oral communications skills; knowledge of AP writing style.
- Ability to work on many projects simultaneously, meet tight deadlines and occasionally work after traditional business hours to attend events or as necessitated by policy developments.
- Team player. Excellent interpersonal skills. Sense of humor.
- Enthusiasm for advocacy- and issue-oriented work and for promoting the Alliance’s mission.
Salary range is $70,000 to $90,000, based on experience. The Alliance offers a generous benefits package and a comfortable work environment in downtown Washington, DC, convenient to Metro.
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter and resume – in a single file – via this link to apply for this position.
Consideration of candidates will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. The Alliance is an equal opportunity employer.