Senior Research Associate
Senior Research Associate - 84983
Organization: EA-Energy Analysis Env Impacts
Berkeley Lab’s Energy Analysis Environmental Impacts Division (https://eta.lbl.gov/about-us/organization/eaei) has an opening for a Senior Research Associate. The Energy Efficiency Standards (EES) group provides technical support to the Department of Energy’s Appliance Standards Program. The work covers a range of topics including energy efficiency standards analysis, test procedure development, and air-conditioning and refrigeration equipment testing.
The primary purpose for the Senior Research Associate position is to perform data collection and analysis for research at the EES group’s refrigeration test facility. The position will also assist with data collection and analysis in the EES group’s air-conditioning test facility, as well as providing assistance to the test procedure and standards rulemaking activities.
What You Will Do:
• Collect and analyze laboratory data to answer research questions on appliance performance and test procedure design.
• Based on analysis, create reports that document the tests performed and summarize preliminary findings.
• Assist in troubleshooting the testing apparatus to ensure that data collected is of high quality.
• Assist other team members in preparation for tests.
• Work productively with other employees within the EES group.
• Provide feedback on testing and appliances to support test procedure and standards rulemaking activities.
What is Required:
• Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Physics, or equivalent experience and minimum two years of related experience with increasing responsibility or Master’s degree.
• Ability to apply scientific and engineering principles to perform and summarize laboratory tests of appliance performance.
• Familiarity with the mechanical and electrical operation of typical refrigeration and air conditioning appliances.
• Understanding of scientific principles involved in laboratory measurement of temperature, humidity, pressure, and electrical power.
• Capability to perform data analysis using Python, R, Excel, or similar methods.
• Ability to fabricate or modify test equipment to meet testing needs.
• Effective problem solving skills with the ability to troubleshoot test facility issues.
• Excellent organizational, analytical, and record-keeping skills.
• Ability to learn and use instrumentation and software which is new or with which she/he is nor familiar.
• Proficient with MS Office tools (Excel, Word, Power Point).
• Ability to communicate effectively with scientists and engineers on data analysis.
• Ability to manage time and prioritize tasks with minimal supervision and general guidance while maintaining a high level of productivity.
The posting shall remain open until the position is filled, however for full consideration, please apply by close of business on June 4, 2018.
• This is a full time, 1 year, term appointment with the possibility of extension or conversion to Career appointment based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs.
• Full-time, M-F, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
• This position is represented by a union for collective bargaining purposes.
• Salary will be determined based on range by collective bargaining agreement.
• This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
• Work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://220.127.116.11/counter.php?id=131777 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Berkeley Lab (LBNL, http://www.lbl.gov/) addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4 (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/EO13665_PrescribedNondiscriminationPostingLanguage_JRFQA508c.pdf). Click here (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf) to view the poster: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law”.